Forums  ›  Characters  ›  Arya

Arya

*****STICKY NOTE*****

N/A

Arya

I think Ayra should be a distant love interest for Eragon, but it is not because she is heartless. She has suffered greatly and lost loved ones. She just doesn’t want to get too close to anyone. He makes her laugh though and want to live again. I also don’t understand how she is a princess if elves elect their leaders.

I have been thinking of Arya for my adaption and how to best adapt her character while still keeping it consistent with the book.

I have been considering Oblakom's cuddly elf version of elf society and if I could make Arya fit into that version. I like that version because it is slightly different than the LOTR movie version but not too different.

I think the following comments made in the recent post of “How to Make Eragon's Heroes into Heroes” (https://antishurtugal-reborn.dreamwidth.org/95384.html) where breakthroughs for her character.

UltraMega10:

“I would have Arya feel resentful of her people. She would be upset at how they just closed themselves off from the world when she was captured. Attention would be paid to the flaws of the elves. And the elves eventually sending troops to help would be a result of Eragon. He and Arya would point out how they can't just abandon the rest of the world. “

W3rew0lfgirl_99 (responding to UltraMega10): 

"I think this is the first time I have seen an idea that could really help showcase her in a better light.

Arya persuading for her people to help and stop hiding is actually a great characterization for her. It showcases how much she cares for the wellbeing of the world as a whole and how they need to join together to fight for peace. Arya knows that Galbatorix will destroy the elves so they won't have a chance for a future if they don't join the cause now while there is a fighting chance."

MinionNumber2:

“Arya's kind of difficult since she doesn't actually do much in the series, and her potential roles of being the sheepdog and the people's champions are already covered by Eragon and Roran above.”

Anonymous:

“Arya: she's like 70, so what if she did a lot of her canon bs when younger? So the dwarves hate her for insulting them in the past, & Varden is a little uncomfortable around her bc of the murder. Also the elves don't care abt diplomatic relations bc they make everything they need, so just send anyone.

So Arya eventually figured out she was being terrible (pre-story), so now she is attempting to repair relations, & be better. She is still a vegetarian, but super practical. If nobody is using animal stuff, might as well. Also never aging means 1 outfit can last a while (hence weird leather outfit). And so she finds most groups horribly wasteful, esp. the elves. Also helps ppl, mostly humans, in her spare time. Still sucks at tact.”

W3rew0lfgirl_99 (responding to Anonymouse):

"Arya is so hard but what you did was very interesting. If you pair it with her being one of the few of her people trying to be active in the rebel cause and thus her not having in much help or being taught diplomatic skills. Her mistakes would be understandable because her culture was so different from theirs. For example elves value telling the truth because they speak in the ancient language so I could easily see Arya sticking her foot in her mouth and accidently offending people about subjects like religion, meat, and animal by products by telling them the truth. I could see her being really upset afterward because she hadn’t meant to offend them and feels like she under minded her cause."

Chuckling Ghost:

”And for Arya: no, she's NOT squeaky clean and smelling like pine needles after six months of torture. This will show up in Incompetence Cycle but her tortures consisted of mutilation (such as cutting the pointy tips of her ears off to make her look human), starvation, public shaming and ridicule (because you know an elf wouldn't be able to stand that), actual torture (like waterboarding) and lots and lots of rape in an attempt to break her (which also doubles as stress relief for the garrison at Gillead).

Her taciturn traits and abrasiveness are entirely the result of being still in recovery from that horrible time with everyone acting shocked by how rude she is because she used to be if not friendly then at least icily polite, and when called on it she actually apologizes after realizing she snapped at somebody and the reader realizes from her reactions that even though she's got a killer poker face that six months of torture actually did do a horrific number on her psyche and she's still staying strong and continuing to fight even though all she really wants to do is curl up in a corner, cover her poor cut up ears (head canon: elf ears are very sensitive) and cry.

This way we actually get to see some of that supposed inner strength and steely determination we're told she has instead of it just being an informed attribute.” 

I also think some of the plot points from Predak123's article "How I Would Have Ended "Inheritance" (http://theanimeproject.antishurtugal.com/blogs/entry/How-I-Would-Have-Ended-Inheritance-A-Repost-of-Predak123-s-Original-Post) could help partially the following:  "In the meantime, Galbatorix has actually been doing more than just twiddling his thumbs. While Eragon was off to the island, Galby and Shruikan launched an attack on Ellesmera, which killed many of the elves (I’d probably have Islandzadi die in this battle), destroyed much of the forest, and left many of the survivors badly wounded. Arya would abstain heavy burns which will permanently mar her face. The Menoa tree burns down."

So I am looking at combining some of these ideas.

First off I am starting by stripping her character of all her bad and questionable traits.  So thus starting over.

Arya is daughter of King Evandar who was killed in the dragon rider war.  Her mother Queen Islanzadi decide despite all the suffering and evil going on around them to stopped helping the resistance and hide the elven kingdom.  Arya realizes that hiding the kingdom will not work forever and that the things going on around them will eventually come down on them if nothing is done and that they should help the resistance while there is still a fighting chance. (It is important in this version that Galbatorix's empire is actually a threat and is already trying to find and destroy the elves.)

Arya among other members (probably Oromis, Glaedr, Brom, and other elves) convinces her mother to help the varden.

Arya becomes the elven ambassador and is eventually she appointed the courier of the blue dragon egg that Brom and Jeod had managed to recover from Galbatorix's clutches.  Arya's mother disapproves of all of this but gives her support to the varden anyways.  Arya is helped by her two elven friends Glenwing and Faolin. 

Arya and her friends (Glenwing and Faolin) are some of the only elven people trying to be active in and who care about the rebel cause.  They are young and since the queen does not see the importance of their cause they have not had much help or taught diplomatic skills.  Arya and her friends make many mistakes which is understandable because their culture was so different from the dwarves and humans. For example elves value telling the truth because they speak in the ancient language so I could easily see Arya sticking her foot in her mouth and accidently offending people about subjects like religion, meat, and animal by products by telling them "the truth" and "what is morally wrong". I could see her being really upset afterward because she hadn’t meant to offend them and feels like she under minded her cause.  Faolin tries to comfort her and they end up in a relationship together. They have had feelings for each other for a long time, prior to them even helping with their cause.  At some point though it breaks off even though humans/dwarves still think they are together.  They don't understand the elves romantic ways.

Arya, Glenwing, and Faolin are ambushed by a shade while carrying the egg.  Arya transports the egg away with the help of a dying Faolin.  Arya is captured.  Glenwing and Faolin are killed.

Arya is tortured by the shade. (Like Chuckling_Ghost said the torture is bad but I am not sure what it will entail.  She will probably still have her ears at this point as I don't want them to be cut off.  It may be ok if her ears were continuously carved up and healed for torture though.)

Eragon, Murtagh and Saphira save her.  Arya dutifully thanks them but seems distant and cold.  She says she is happy that Saphira hatched for Eragon because now they have a chance at winning the war.

Arya does her duties as she is committed to her cause (maybe even more committed after her friends died for it) but she does not seem to enjoy anything.  

When Arya journey to Ellesméra it is clear how much she is suffering.  Arya no longer likes being touched because of all the torture she went through.  She flinches away from her elven friends and her mother when they try to cuddle her.  Her mother says that she has wronged her after feeling Arya flinch at being slightly touched.

Arya is distant, cold and even a little snappy because of the pain she is going through. 

Her taciturn traits and abrasiveness are entirely the result of being still in recovery from that horrible time with everyone acting shocked by how rude she is now because she used to be polite.  When she called on it she actually feels bad about it and apologizes after realizing she snapped at somebody who did nothing to her. Arya may have a good poker face and say she is fine but the months of torture actually did do a horrific number on her psyche and she's still staying strong and continuing to fight even though all she really wants to do is curl up in a corner and cry.

Arya feels a little resentful of her people. She is upset about how they just closed themselves off from the world when she was captured. Attention would be paid to the flaws of the elves. 

She and Eragon work on getting the races to work together. They start to bond and she starts to like him.

At some point Galbatorix/Shruikan launched an attack on Ellesmera, which killed many of the elves including Islandzadi, Oromis, and Gleadr, destroyed much of the forest, and left many of the survivors badly wounded.  [It must be made clear that this attack was going happen even if the elves did nothing to help the varden and Saphira and Eragon never existed]

Thus the elves eventually start helping and send sending troops to help would be a result this and of Eragon and Arya would pointing out how they can't just abandon the rest of the world and they need to fight while their is still a chance of winning.

In the final battle against Galbatorix, Arya would abstain heavy burns which will permanently mar her face.

At the end Arya and Eragon admit their feelings for each other but have to go their separate ways.

As the series continues they will become a couple and have two children.

Forums  ›  Characters  ›  Arya